As summer is peaking and with schools generally closed, this is the perfect time of year to roll through some of Los Angeles County’s, if not world’s, top skate parks. Some are open to the public for free, and some do cost admission. Call ahead for information.
Top skate parks in the LA area:
1. Venice Skatepark: 1800 Ocean Front Walk Venice, 90291. Phone: (310) 396-6794. Generally considered the primo skate spot in the Southland, the Venice Beach Skate Park is a must for any local or visiting skater and boarder.
2. skatePlaza: 11430 Chandler Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 91601. Phone: (818) 763-7641. skatePLAZA is a world-class skateboard park and event venue located in North Hollywood. The park features a variety of ramps, rails, and other obstacles for skateboarders of all skill levels. skatePLAZA also hosts regular skateboarding competitions and events.
3. Stoner Plaza: 1835 Stoner Ave, LA 90025. Phone (310) 479-7200. Stoner Plaza is a skateboard park located in West Los Angeles. The park features a variety of obstacles, including a large bowl, half-pipe, and several ramps and rails. The park is open to skateboarders of all skill levels.
4. El Segundo skate park: 405 E Grand Ave, El Segundo, CA 90245. Phone (310) 524-2718. El Segundo skate park is one of the most iconic skate parks in Los Angeles. The skatepark is located in El Segundo, California, and was opened in 1976. The skate park is home to a number of professional skateboarders and is a popular spot for skateboarding competitions.
5. Manhattan Beach Skatepark: 3003 Redondo Ave, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266. Phone (626) 330-5803. This skate park is located right on the beach in Manhattan Beach. It has a great view of the ocean and is a great place to skateboard. There are also plenty of benches and picnic tables for people to sit and watch the skateboarders.
6. Vans Off the Wall Skatepark: 7471 Center Ave. Huntington Beach, CA 92647. Phone: (714) 379-6666. The park features over 35,000 square feet of rails, bowls, stair sets, rollers, gaps, and more. The location also features a Vans retail store and a highly-rated burger joint named Bunz. The Skatepark is free and open 7 days a week from 9am-8pm, weather permitting. Skateboarding is allowed every day except for Wednesday, which is reserved for BMX bikes.
7. Belvedere Skate Park: 4914 East Cesar Chavez Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90022. Phone: (323) 260-2360. This park is the recreation hub of the East Los Angeles community. With its vast variety of facilities and programs, Belvedere Park’s 30.94 acres offers fun and excitement for all ages and a relaxing, serene, and peaceful environment under the shade of huge trees.
Some people argue that the best skateparks are ones with a variety of features, while others prefer parks with more street-style skating obstacles. No matter what your preferences are, Los Angeles has a skatepark for you and your family no matter the skill level. The City of Los Angeles Department of Parks and Recreation offers a full list of public skate parks.