Pasadena begins its citywide celebration of cheeseburger week with over 40 restaurants, burger joints and more taking part in honoring Lionel Sternberger, the first to put cheese on a hamburger.
A tradition dating back to 1924, when Lionel Sternberger became the first to put cheese on a hamburger at the Rite Spot restaurant in Pasadena, California – calling it the Aristocratic burger and selling it for only 15 cents.
Several participants in the 2022 Cheeseburger Week celebration and Cheeseburger Challenge are offering special meals and deals.
In the spirit of celebration, several locations in Pasadena will also offer special meals:
- El Portal Restaurant and Yahaira’s Cafe return with the very popular Zacatecas Burger: Ground beef, ground pork and chorizo with special flavorings in a telera roll with tomato cheese, ham and secret chipotle sauce. Comes with fries;
- Pie ‘n Burger has a special Cheeseburger Week meal deal for $16 (tax and tip not included). Download the coupon at the Pasadena Restaurant Week website (www.pasadenarestaurantweek.com);
- The Stand offers their new Yuzu Shroom Burger for $12;
- Clearman’s Galley (The Boat) has the Captain’s Cheeseburger during Pasadena Cheeseburger, a charbroiled patty with Chef’s special sauce, bacon, tomato, green leaf lettuce, and American cheese for $9.95. Make it a combo for an additional $5.95 which includes a drink and your choice of fries, onion rings, or a small salad.
- Dog Haus and Dog Haus Biergarten offer the any of their Haus Burgers for $6.99;
- The Terrace at the Langham Huntington Hotel Pasadena offers the special chef created Green Chile Cheeseburger.
Find more information on participating restaurants and special offers by visiting www.pasadenarestaurantweek.com.
Participants are encouraged to vote for their favorite cheeseburger.
Voting in the 2022 Cheeseburger Challenge opens Jan. 23 and ends Jan. 29. Cheeseburger Week is presented by the Pasadena Chamber of Commerce.