Murder and reckless driving charges were filed Tuesday against an 18-year-old man who allegedly crashed an SUV through a building being used as a Halloween popup store in Van Nuys, killing a woman and injuring at least five other people.
Luis Carrillocastane of Los Angeles was charged with one felony count each of murder and reckless driving on a highway causing a specified injury, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.
Carrillocastane was driving a 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe west on Saticoy Street “at a high rate of speed” when it crashed into the building on the southwest corner of Woodley Avenue and Saticoy Street on Sunday night, according to police.
Connie Levinson, 53, of Woodland Hills, died at the scene.
Paramedics evaluated at least five other people for injuries, although none was believed to be life-threatening.
NBC4 reported that the SUV driver was previously taking part in a nearby street takeover, doing doughnuts in the middle of an intersection, and crashed into the building at a high speed while being followed by a Los Angeles Police Department helicopter overhead.
Street takeovers often involve dozens or sometimes hundreds of attendees blocking off city intersections where drivers perform stunts. Serious injuries and some deaths have occurred at street takeovers in recent years.
Police at the scene said the SUV was traveling at such a high speed it left 200 feet of skid marks on the street and continued 75 feet to the back of the building before it stopped, ABC7 said.
The genders and ages of the other victims were not immediately available.