The El Monte Union High School District will hold a series of five meetings in October to receive the public’s input on its school district formation process.
The transition will involve a shift from at-large elections to by-trustee area elections in order to make the district compliant with the California Voting Rights Act.
“We are committed to ensuring that this process is transparent, inclusive and prioritizes the values and voices of our
school community,” said Dr. Edward Zuniga, EMUHSD Superintendent in a release. “Public participation is critical to making this process a success.”
The community open houses will involve the review of a series of draft maps drawn up by a demographer in accordance with federal and state legal mandates. The new election process will begin in November 2022, when residents will vote for school board candidates based on their newly determined trustee area.
The five meetings:
- Arroyo High School
- 4921 Cedar Ave., El Monte
- 6PM – 8PM
- South El Monte High School
- 1001 N. Durfee Ave., South El Monte
- 4PM – 6PM
- Rosemead High School
- 9063. E. Mission Dr., Rosemead
- 9AM – 11 AM
- Mountain View High School
- 2900 Parkway Dr., El Monte
- 6PM -8PM
- El Monte High School
- 3048 Tyler Ave., El Monte
- 4PM – 6PM
Residents are also encouraged to submit their own maps and/or make an appointment to meet with the draft map at demographer to consult about the process. In-person meetings will be held at the EUHSD office 3537 Johnson Ave. El Monte. To make an appointment, call (626) 444-9005, ext 9805.
To view the maps, go to emuhsd-by-area-trustees.com.
Key deadlines for districting process:
- October 6 – First draft district maps unveiled
- October 13 – First community open house taking public comment on maps
- October 28 – Last community open house taking public comment on maps
- November 19 – Deadline to submit revised or additional proposed maps to the EMUHSD Superintendent’s office
- December 8 – Maps criteria to be presented at regular district board meeting
- January 5, 2022 – Maps expected to be narrowed down for regular district board meeting
- February 2, 2022 – Board of Trustees epect to select final trustee map during public hearing
One a final map is selected, it will be presented to the Los Angeles County Committee on School District Organization for review.
All public meetings can be attended in person or can be viewed via livestream at https://www.emuhsd.org/boardlive.