In one of Monrovia’s largest events Saturday, Monrovians were in top form and flooded the streets with food, fun and lots of fuel: The annual car show and return of The Soap Box Derby drew hundreds to Old Town during a hot and steamy Sept. 11.
The classic cars, American and British, lined Myrtle “motorway” replete with hay stacks along the route to the much-loved Soap Box Derby. The highlight was the “Guns ‘n Hoses” challenge (police chief vs. fire chief) when Police Chief Alan Sanvictores resoundingly beat Fire Chief Brad Dover in the Soap Box Derby.
One Monrovian, Cairn Atkinson, was captured with some of the classic car winners. While many agencies won’t hire someone with only one leg, Atkinson’s courage and commitment help keep her focused on her career. Atkinson lost one of her legs due to cancer but manages to get some modeling work here and there.
Craig Stewart won first place in one category for his 1961 Plymouth.
Here are the official winners:
- 1st Place: Lilly Bumpus #19
- 2nd Place: Georgia Khoury #65 Samuelson/Fetter
- 3rd Place: Hailey Wilcox #22 Look Cinemas
Super Stock Class
- 1st Place: Amaya Berry #80
- 2nd Place: Madison Wheeler #13 Meyers Machining
- 3rd Place: Luna Hammer #56 Eddys Rod Shop
- 1st Place: Jackson Thorn #27
- 2nd Place: Isabel Henkels #51
- 3rd Place: Maximus Mary #45 Monrovia Old Town Derby
Grudge Match Fun Run
- Luca Romani
- Abby Wheeler
- Parker Miille