With high temperatures forecast above 90 degrees this week, the Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks will Tuesday be opening five cooling centers around the city.
The cooling centers will be open through Sunday, from noon to 10 p.m. at the following locations:
- Canoga Park Senior Citizen Center, 7326 Jordan Ave.;
- Highland Park Adult Senior Center, 6152 Figueroa St.;
- Sherman Oaks East Valley Adult Center, 5056 Van Nuys Blvd.;
- South Los Angeles Sports Activity Center, 7020 Figueroa St.;
- Van Nuys Recreation Center, 14301 Vanowen St.
Due to COVID-19 precautions, capacity is limited and everyone is asked to call ahead to check availability, according to the department’s Rose Watson.
Once the cooling centers close for the night, the facilities will follow the citywide park closures mandated by the city’s Safer L.A. directives and Los Angeles County Department of Public Health orders until further notice, Watson said.