Timed-entry reservations required
The California Science Center reopens on March 27, 2021. “The Art of the Brick,” “Space Shuttle Endeavour,” “Kelp Forest,” and other exhibits are on view with COVID-19 safety precautions in place.
The Science Center’s IMAX theater will also reopen to the public on March 27, 2021, with two classic films, “Hubble” and “Under the Sea.” Both will be shown in 2D on the theater’s seven-story screen.
“The Art of the Brick” is back with intriguing works of art by Nathan Sawaya, built entirely of LEGO bricks. Timed-entry reservations and tickets for “The Art of the Brick”are available at CaliforniaScienceCenter.org.
Guests can also look forward to two new exhibitions. Premiering in April and June respectively are “COVID-19 – All in This Together,” and “Life! Beginnings.”
In the“All in This Together” exhibition, guests can explore the facts about COVID-19 and the science behind the most powerful public health tools for fighting the pandemic. The exhibition features a special display from the COVID Memorial Quilt honoring individuals lost.
“Life! Beginnings”celebrates life’s incredible ability to make more life. Guests can experience the human journey from conception to birth inside an immersive ‘womb room’ and explore real fetal specimens.
Science Center President Jeffrey Rudolph notes that, “We are thrilled to reopen and invite guests to enjoy the power of real experiences. Science is core to everything we do and our reopening protocols reflect the guidance of state and local health agencies as well as the Science Center’s public health and infectious disease expert advisors.” Some of the safety measures include:
- A 25% visitor capacity will allow ample space for physical distancing.
- Timed entry reservations are required for all guests. Reservations can be made online in advance with a service fee. They can also be made on-site at the box office without a service fee, although availability and preferred entry times are not guaranteed for in-person reservations. Members of the Science Center will have an early reservation opportunity before the general public.
- Options for touchless transactions are available at all registers.
- Food is available on-site in prepackaged boxes for purchase.
- Hand-washing and sanitation stations are placed throughout the Science Center. Guests are encouraged to wash their hands for 20 seconds.
- Helpful guided directional signage facilitates one-way flow through some galleries.
- Guests must self-screen and confirm that they are symptom free before entering.
- Guests must wear properly fitting face coverings at all times.
- The IMAX Theater also features new health and safety measures, and advance reservations are highly recommended.