Hey Media, a local Southern California news organization is looking for a highly motivated and experienced News Director to lead our multi-platform content production. The position will oversee editorial direction and provide leadership, motivation, support, and encouragement to the team in generating story ideas and production of a compelling news product.
The candidate should be familiar and on top of trends for existing and emerging platforms. The right candidate will be someone who is willing to take creative risks and understands the value of highly impactful breaking and investigative journalism. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a passionate fearless leadership approach and is willing to mentor and develop our talented group of journalists into strong storytellers. He/she should be able to effectively plan a news strategy for continuous coverage and
growth of our news team and the organization.
- Create & implement strategic plans for audience growth and newsroom operations.
- Must be a digital powerhouse, leveraging all available platforms to make sure our audiences receive and share the stories generated by our
- You must be ready to adapt to change and think out of the box.
- Review and approve all newsroom personnel decisions and ongoing performance, including annual reviews.
- Develop and manage an annual budget.
- Adapt and utilize current resources to take advantage of emerging technologies.
- Provide coaching, support and guidance to all members of the team.
- Create and produce news series, regional news specials and investigative stories with the news team. Create content that is in alignment with Hey Media’s journalistic philosophies and news brand.
- Build the capacity inside the organization to think and act digitally,
generating engaging, compelling and timely content that will result in an increase of our digital footprint and ultimately grow our audience and market share.
Skills & Experience
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in a news organization, working as a news director, assistant news director, executive producer, news producer.
- Solid news judgment. Ensure flawless execution and innovative storytelling.
- Proven and effective leadership skills fostering open dialogue, empowering others, and addressing conflict quickly and directly.
- Must have experience managing operating budgets.
- Degree in Journalism, Multimedia, Communications or Marketing or equivalent experience preferred.
- Proficiency in Premiere, Adobe Creative Suite.
- Proficiency in managing and posting on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and other Social Media Platforms.
- Candidate must be flexible and willing to work varied schedules, including weekends and holidays.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment while juggling competing priorities.
- Highly adept at user acquisition and audience growth.
- High energy, strong work ethic, self-motivated and independent professional.
- Has a highly developed knowledge of digital industry trends.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- This position will require proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
Digital Advertising Sales Consultant
Hey Media is seeking an experienced representative to sell Digital Advertising Sales. Do you want to come on board a 25-year old digital media startup with a voice and reach unlike any other Los Angeles media outlet?
Then Hey Media has the perfect opportunity for you.
The ideal candidate is a team player with exceptional interpersonal skills honed for seamless communication with staff, vendors, clients, and agencies. They will have prior experience in the role’s responsibilities, a solid reputation in the region’s sales and advertising industry, and a developed professional network.
- Building and sustaining long-lasting relationships with new and existing clients.
- Conducting research on products, services, geographic locations, and target customers for existing and potential clients
- Arranging meetings to present proposals and address concerns of existing and potential clients
- Preparing sample advertisements and proposals for clients
- Attending weekly Sales meetings, team meetings and training sessions as required
- Selling company advertising products and services (both print and digital) to clients by communicating the benefits
- Working with our team to further develop successful campaigns and find ways to increase revenue
- Outgoing, personable, hungry to learn
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Excellent communication skills / written and verbal
- Strong negotiation sales skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Knowledge of marketing principles
- Organizational and analytical skills
About Hey Media:
For more than 25 years, Beacon Media (parent company of Hey Media) has provided multiple Southern California cities with community news and information. In doing so, Beacon has provided a highly-effective advertising medium for its business partners to expand and grow through diverse platforms, including print and digital.
Please send us your resume to be considered for this position.